David More wrote:
> See short comments below.
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:17:31 +1100, Tim Churches wrote:
>>Thinking about this a bit more, it occurs to me that simply having
>>archetype definitions mirrrored at lots of sites is a start, but it
>>isn't really enough. An archetype (and the reference model it relies
>>upon) is essential metadata without which the data stored in the
>>database back-end of an openEHR system is meaningless, or at best rather
>>hard to interpret.
>>
>>Thus, archetypes need to be stored, permanently, with the data. This
>>implies that each and every openEHR/archetypes storage system must be
>>able to permanently cache (that is, archive) each version of every
>>archetype definition it has ever used to store any data.
>
> You have now got what I have been worried about - and the issue is amplified
> by every
> variation that is permitted. Governance of all this I am not sure is actually
> do-able -
> what do you think with say 5 different GP systems, 1000 different path and
> radiology tests
> etc etc..

No, David, I never mentioned governance in my post, and although I agree
that careful governance is needed, I do think it is doable. Rather, I'm
worried that people will use archetype definitions which are licensed in
a way that restrict their freedom to manipulate or transfer their own
data (or that of their patients) to others.

> I think you have got it quite close - and open-source does not save the day -
> its the
> information management of the archetypes that may save it

As I said, I agreee that management of archetype definitions is
important, but I think that open source-style licensing of archetype
definitions will prevent lock-in/control problems.

> - but the openEHR people seem to
> be in denial about establishing the infrastructure to do it....Until this
> ongoing
> Governance is nailed, certain and ongoing over decades this idea won't work
> IMVHO.

We'll have to disagree - the openEHR people do seem to be thinking
carefully about governance, but not in a heavy-handed way. Show me the
governance of anything which is certain and nailed decades into the
future - that's an unrealistic expectation. Personally I am much more
concerned about the possibility of totalitarian lock-in of data and/or
complete dependence on proprietary archetype definitions than I am about
an anarchistic confusion of incompatible archetype definitions (although
both scenarios are undesirable).

Tim C