Williamtfgoossen at cs.com wrote:
> In een bericht met de datum 22-2-2007 11:36:46 West-Europa
> (standaardtijd), schrijft Thomas.Beale at OceanInformatics.biz:
>

> Good points / questions,
>
> my 2 cents on this:
>
> I would like to distinghuis between the few datatypes that are basic
> and work in software, in archetypes, in HL7 v2 and in HL7 v3,  not
> much but there will be several, and the ones that are technical
> implementation specific. From clinicians point of view then most day
> to day data will be represented and they will not have to worry about
> unimportant technical details (unimportant because smart technicians
> have found conversion methods to deal with it).
>
> imho the ISO standard should define the generic real thing. Integer is
> real, string is real, OpenEHRstring is one technical artifact derived
> from real thing to work in some software. Next, it should facilitate
> in preventing battles to make conversions possible.
I am not sure what you mean by this William...there isn't any special
'OpenEHRstring' - in openEHR, all those 'inbuilt types' are assumed -
see the Support IM -
http://svn.openehr.org/specification/BRANCHES/Release-1.1-candidate/publishing/architecture/rm/support_im.pdf

- Same goes for Integer, Real, Boolean etc. This was one of the points
of departure from HL7, which redefined all the basic types (INT, REAL,
ST, BL etc).

> This can only be solved if we step back from the technical data
> specification and use the clinical data specification as point of
> reference, map from there to CEN, Open EHR, ISO, HL7 v2 and v3. It is
> like the standards, no explosions wanted.
that sounds right, but I am not sure if I have understood you in the way
intended. The data types in openEHR have largely been driven by clinical
input (particularly expert pathology input) and archetyping experience.
But they are of course technical artifacts, else we cannot write software...