Dear Koray,

A metric from real practice:
- Porting one application from its original database to Ocean
Informatics EhrGate took two weeks.
Including the production of a SOAP and .Com interface of the interface
of Oceans product.

Problems:
- How do you put figures to the fact that no longer data base
conversions are needed?
- How do you put figures to the fact that no longer data is lost
because of this?
- How do you put figures to the fact that without reprogramming
Healthcare Providers are able to define themselves what data and
information they have to store, retrieve, present and exchange and that
they do not need the help of the EHR-system vendor?
- How do you put figures to the fact that vendor lock-in is no longer
an issue?
- How do you put figures to the fact that since products based on
openEHR/Ocean are a generic tool instead of a proprietary product
customized for a specific enterprise or department at great cost?
- How do you put figures to the fact that systems based on openEHR/
Ocean enable flexibly all ever changing work processes thereby
facilitating innovation and market competition?
- How do you put figures to the fact that systems based on openEHR/
Ocean never enforces all users to use one set of messages based on one
standardized business process?

Gerard

On Feb 7, 2008, at 10:03 AM, Koray Atalag wrote:

> Hi Gerard, a very useful document indeed...The approach is quite
> interesting and solid; no questions mathematically (at least in my MD
> mind!). I was thinking about brainstorming about finding some metrics
> (logical and feasible to experiment) to test those issues. Such as:
>
> Maintenance: comparison of lines of code during maintenance, frequency
> of support requests and time to fulfill them, user satisfaction
> surveys,
> cost figures and so on for maintenance
>
> Interop: your points (i.e. # of interfaces to be implemented, # of
> messages and schemas), number of transactions, reused fragments,
> number
> of hops during a shared care event (i.e. how many systems particular
> data (EHR extract?) travels, how many users access it and how.....
>
> These are just initial thoughts and I am sure there are already better
> ones out there. I think, seriously, such studies would be very
> beneficial for community in convincing interested parties.

-- <private> --
Gerard Freriks, MD
Huigsloterdijk 378
2158 LR Buitenkaag
The Netherlands

T: +31 252544896
M: +31 620347088
E:     gfrer at luna.nl

temporary
Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov
1755