Hi Greg,

I think that to wait until all archetypes are mapped to terminology
reflects losing view of the value that the structured content found in
archetypes brings to health informatics.  The structure inherent in an
archetype gives an excellent semantic handle on clinical content in the
large majority of cases, and the strategic and appropriate mapping of
terminology to these archetypes will (theoretically) enhance clarity and
minimise any potential ambiguity and make the models VERY powerful.
(Practical experience suggests that this is not as easy as some might
think - and has been alluded to by some others previously.)

Indeed, there are data points in archetypes that are very dependent on
mapping to terminology, such as lists of diagnoses or symptoms - the
free text alternative here is not pretty nor particularly useful for
querying.  BUT THESE ARE VERY MUCH IN THE MINORITY, and will often have
more of a role in terminology subsets applied in templates.  Archetypes
will only have terminology codes incorporated where it is universally
applicable - the archetype by definition is designed as a maximal data
set and for a universal usecase, so if there is doubt about the
universality of a given terminology code, it probably needs to be
applied within a template environment, rather than the archetype.

And remember that Snomed/LOINC is not the only terminology that needs to
be incorporated - there are a lot of places in the world that have no
mandated terminology; that do not have a relevant language version of
Snomed; that mandate an alternate terminology such as ICD-10 etc.  So we
have a number of terminologies to manage.

The Clinical Knowledge Manager (CKM - the openEHR archetype repository)
is being designed from the following point of view - lets model the
clinical content as per clinician requirements in the archetypes, and
get them reviewed, published and out there and being used - as they are
increasingly being used in real  implementations!
And by all means, let's incorporate terminology as fast and as sensibly
as we can.  The reality is that terminology mapping is possibly a slower
process than we think, yet one that can happen in parallel or following
on from archetype publication.  In the pending CKM, archetypes will be
formally regarded as publishable based on agreement on both clinical
content and design, by a combination of clinician teams and openEHR
geeks. Terminology mapping can be commenced as soon as the content has
been finalised (otherwise we don't know what content needs a code), but
in the majority of archetypes can safely happen at a later date without
major impact on semantic representation of clinical content.  For the
minority of archetypes that are identified as having immediate
terminology requirements, then this process needs to happen simultaneously.
Similarly, translations can only commence once the content is finalised
and published, and will no doubt be an iterative process, with
translations being dependant on need.

The CKM is not far away and looking good - currently undergoing beta
testing... Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Heather