> > As an ISO standard, I believe that it should be an intersection of
> all the
> > input specifications, rather than a union
>
> extension has it's own difficulties, as does union. We were aware of
> the
> berlin decision, but ISO 21090 resulted from a deliberate decision
> to do something different. Was that a right decision? Unfortunately,
> time won't tell, since the alternatives are purely hypothetical.

[HKF: ] Obviously this deliberate decision was made without the parties that
were in Berlin who had come to that conclusion for a very good reason, they
had already tried that approach without success.  So we are back to the same
position we were in 5 years ago, with another data types standard that is
unable to be used out of the box ubiquitously in healthcare information
systems.