Hi Thomas,

I read your email and I would like to comment on the three main topics you
touched. First I believe that people in openEHR project have contributed a
lot in all three areas of health informatics as you mentioned in your email
and congratulations to all for leading innovative work. Nevertheless in my
opinion what makes openEHR to excel in the domain of health informatics and
where I certainly place my bet for the future is the design of archetypes
and especially templates. This is THE bridge between health professionals
and software developers. You can find tons of specifications from all the
organizations you referred to and you can also find a lot of open source
software tools and applications in the health domain but the simplicity of
archetypes and templates and the tools to design them is unique in your
project. Nevertheless the last two years I have been pondering a lot on the
state of the art regarding the design of graphical user interfaces, the
design of the data model and the trend to support distributed systems with
web services. This is certainly not the place to get into great depth about
the technical details on all these but I am more than happy to present you
my research plan and perhaps you can provide me with answers or directions
on the OPEN design principles that you followed in your project in order to
cope with the following issues:

1.      Data model (I am referring to your UML RM model) - Archetypes and
templates

a. What database model are you using for the permanent storage of your
entities, is that implemented on a popular DBMS, is it open ?

b.How do you connect the database model with the programming data model and
your ADL structures, what kind of OR mapping are you using

c. Why are you using ADL and not standard XML-XSD to describe your
archetypes, templates ?

d.      Have you explored the path on how your knowledge representation is
linked to popular W3 technologies such as ontology, linked data, RDFs,
especially the application of these on media information management ?

2.      Design of user interfaces, how is openEHR linked to the following

a. What principle you follow when you bind your data to the GUI component ?

b.Is there a particular model you are following on the design of
applications (e.g. MVC ?)

c. Have you considered to support popular document formats such as Office
Open XML and Open Document Format ?

d.      How easy is it for a developer to embody openEHR technology with
popular frameworks (Adobe Flex, Microsoft .NET) ?

4.      Distributed systems and services

a. Considering the major acceptance of the standard clinical documents (CCR,
CDA) in the health domain and the impact they have on the interchange of
data information, how do you match or implement those in openEHR ?

b.Is there an open demo of a complete prototype that one can explore to see
openEHR in action (common scenario includes a clinic with doctors and
patients where the user can explore health records for each one of them as
well as services provided by the system) ?

I am sure that you have explored all these but I think it makes sense to see
how exactly openEHR is going to fit with the big trends of information
technology (i.e. databases, user interface modeling, web services - semantic
web).

Best luck with your efforts

Athanassios Hatzis

http://medilig.org

http://athanassios.gr

PS: I do not read the technical list of openEHR as I do not have the time to
get into great depth of details for openEHR implementation. But I am very
keen on the architecture design principles and plans you have for the
future.