Hi all,
I thought a lot on your proposal.

If we want to use pseudo-units (non-UCUM terms), then we have to be able to
distinguish when a term is in UCUM syntax. For example g/m2.7 is a valid
UCUM string, but it is interpreted as (g/m^2) * 7 and not as g/(m^2.7),
because in UCUM ?.? is the symbol for multiplication operator.
So ?units? attribute should become a sort of code phrase, with the
information on adopted syntax. Otherwise we can have an ambiguous syntax.

As alternative, if we want to go on using only UCUM syntax, we could express
this pseudo-unit (and not standard units) with the so-called annotation,
wrapped in curly braces (see
http://aurora.regenstrief.org/~ucum/ucum.html#section-Character-Set-and-Lexical-Rules,
section 6). In this case, we can adopt {g/m2.7} safely, remaining compliant
with the UCUM syntax.

What do you think!?

Regards,
Leonardo