Hi Tom

My interest is the pain we get as the tools get developed and tweaked as
does ADL and multiple versions.

well, changes to formalisms are different from changes to tools. All these
things are already or can be version managed, so this is just a question of
release management.

[Sam Heard] No, it is people from the installed base working on current
archetypes. It is always unclear when current users HAVE to upgrade to
continue working..the web means we can do this organically. The Foundation
is planning a move to ADL 1.5 and clearly this should be the environment
that the tools support. There will be tweeks to the specifications during
the early years.

Also, if we are to use Thomas' engine it should tip the balance a bit
further as installing and updating numerous layers gets even more painful.

Sam, I am not sure what you mean by this.

[Sam Heard] Supporting services through DLLs, RPCs and other technologies is
difficult as it requires a local installation. The Brosphorus (Seref/Beale)
service will require further implementation locally. Just as we see that the
Eiffel library finds it difficult to keep up with the Mac except by going to
the BSD environment (let alone iOS and Android), we will see a lot of
locally supported applications move to web based tools when the GUI support
is sufficient.

Finally, web tools are easier to access on multiple devices including
mobile.

that's one advantage for sure. But we don't see any 'heavy' tools being used
over the web yet, e.g. Eclipse, Visual Studio.

[Sam Heard] These are for building the applications that we want - they will
build web-based tools as well. I agree that development environments are
likely to be local for some time - though GIThub and others provide a lot of
that support via the web now.

Cheers,. Sam