Hi Tom and Diego,

Short response is yes this is a better way of hardwiring a pure presentation
related attribute into Archetypes which are supposed to deal with meta-data,
structure and semantics of information only. The ideal solution would be to
have an accompanying (but separate) layer of model responsible for GUI stuff.

Our experience is that there are three types of such 'things':

1)      Pure GUI related (such as passthrough or depicting a particular GUI
widget, style etc.)

2)      Assumed (e.g. to render a textbox for DV_TEXT or draw a frame/indend
children nodes under CLUSTER)

3)      Mixed - where it is not easy to separate presentation from semantics.

Regarding (3), for example we have a GUI Directive called isCoreConcept (which
we were inspired by the openSDE project by Astrid van Ginneken) which when
modelling clinical findings and causes GUI generator to put a four state
checkbox (null, present, absent, unknown). This actually applies to any 'thing'
which we can also talk about its absence. This semantics implies to show or
hide all of its children based on its presence (or absence).

I think we can use one Archetype attribute (to depict the semantics that this
is a clinical finding or perhaps a new class of its own (e.g.
DV_CLINICAL_FINDING) and perhaps separate GUI directives (or make it an assumed
behaviour when that semantic attribute is set) create this appearance and
behaviour.

Not so sure if I can show you other clear examples (other than core concept) at
this stage but I suspect there are others.

Oh and we have also identified a whole new territory which we call 'information
axes' and 'semantic equivalence' ;) This also has to do with both semantics and
presentation I believe. Think about capturing (and modelling archetypes)  a
clinical statement as:

"Polyps were present in sigmoid colon and rectum and ulceration was seen in
rectum."

"In rectum polyps and ulceration were seen and ulceration was present in
sigmoid colon"

These are equivalent but how to model the archetypes; e.g. finding or site
oriented will depend on modelling best practices and use cases. Rule of thumb
is to design archetypes as close to screen representation as possible (hence
the clinicians thinking). We must be able to depict in archetypes and/or
presentation model that alternative representations exist and how to construct
these. SNOMED CTs normal/canonical forms is pretty related with this but then
the semantics is hardcoded into the SCT axes.

My 2 cents

Cheers,

-koray