On 17/11/2014 12:47, Ian McNicoll wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> RM function to retrieve a magnitude expressed as a particular unit.
>
> from my previous email ...
>
> I think we could add something at reference model level to say give me
> this quantity in 'x' units, performing the conversion at server level
> where possible or return null. This could also be supported in AQL
> since it would just be another RM attribute/function?
>
> magnitude.inUnit['mg']
>
> I think this is, roughly speaking, what FHIR is doing

well, it's not a reference model thing inasmuch as it's not an
information model concept at all, but a knowledge service concept,
relying on some database of units that knows about canonical forms,
conversions etc. This is what things like the UCUM service do, via an
API. I wouldn't want to make the RM dependent on specific functions of
such an API; I think the most that the RM should assume (as it does
right now in fact) is that the units are in UCUM syntax.