> In the healthcare related blockchain ideas or prototype implementations I
> have heard about so far something different than proof of work is used, for
> example proof of authority. That has other drawbacks and challenges, but it
> does not suffer from the same power consumption problems.

that's true. But I don't see s sweet spot there; either you end up falling
back to a central authority after all - in which case you might as well
just trust the central authority and design a more efficient solution, or
you have something that's less secure - but doesn't - as far as I can
figure out - have less of a reason to need security. The one possible
exception I've seen, which I've seen in production, is closed trading
schemes around tracking payments between a group of entities.

Grahame