Just remembered children of attribute can handle multiple alternatives,
while this is syntactically correct I'm not sure if the alternatives can be
of the same object type:

<attributes xsi:type="C_SINGLE_ATTRIBUTE">

<rm_attribute_name>defining_code</rm_attribute_name>
                              <existence>
                              </existence>
                              <children xsi:type="C_CODE_REFERENCE">
                                <rm_type_name>CODE_PHRASE</rm_type_name>
                                <occurrences>
                                </occurrences>
                                <node_id />

*<referenceSetUri>terminology:LOINC</referenceSetUri>*
                              </children>
                              <children xsi:type="C_CODE_REFERENCE">
                                <rm_type_name>CODE_PHRASE</rm_type_name>
                                <occurrences>
                                </occurrences>
                                <node_id />
*
<referenceSetUri>terminology:SNOMED-CT</referenceSetUri>*
                              </children>
                            </attributes>