On 08/17/2017 04:01 PM, Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:

The problem we have, which caused me to look into this, is:

We unfortunately have a lot of unversioned libraries, e.g.,
"libfoo.so" instead of "libfoo.so.1.2.3". There is no problem
building these (except we need to work around OE's default of
putting *.so in ${PN}-dev rather than ${PN}). However, when rpm
creates the packages for the applications linked with these
libraries, it fails to automatically determine these runtime
dependencies. However, since there are no errors, what then
happens is that the image is created, lacking most of our
libraries, which of course leads to the image failing to boot
when applications cannot find the libraries they need...

Thanks. The problem with relying on rpm for this discovery is that this mechanism is not used anywhere in oe-core. I may update rpm to 4.14 and again break this stuff without noticing. I'd say it's better if you fix oe-core's code to discover those in the same way versioned libraries are discovered.

Alex