On 2017-09-08 23:29, Paul Barker wrote:
On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 10:07 PM, Martin Hundebøll
<martin.hundeb...@prevas.dk> wrote:

On September 8, 2017 10:37:26 PM GMT+02:00, Denys Dmytriyenko <de...@denix.org>
wrote:
On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 09:06:17PM +0100, Paul Barker wrote:

This breaks the method described in the kernel dev FAQ to omit the
kernel image from the rootfs which is to set the following in a conf
file:

     RDEPENDS_kernel-base = ""

See
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.3.1/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#idm45690538384880.

By recommending kernel-image directly instead of recommending the
top-level kernel-<version> package which was actually removed from
extra_depends, we skip the inclusion of the kernel-base package. I'm
not familiar enough with the details of kernel module loading to know
if the 2 files in kernel-base (modules.builtin and modules.order) are
strictly needed but I think they should at least be included in via
recommendation.

As we already have a documented way to omit the kernel image, can we
revert this?

As an alternative I can send in a patch which changes the recommend
the top-level kernel-<version> package instead of kernel-image.

FWIW, this was discussed at #yocto on IRC today. When I first saw the
change
several days ago, I was puzzled as well...
The existing method has been in use by many of us for a very long time
and
seems to be well documented - I also vote for reverting the change.

Does setting `RDEPENDS_kernel-base = ""` in an image recipe work too?

No, you'd need it to be set in a conf file so it takes effect when the
kernel-base package is created.

I can see the issue here though. Can you set `RDEPENDS_kernel-base =
""` globally and explicitly install kernel-image into the appropriate
image? If not then yes we'll need to find an alternative solution to
simply reverting the change.

Seems like the inverted approach of disabling install of kernel-image globally, and enabling it per-image works just fine.

Reverting the patch is fine by me - sorry for the noise.

// Martin