Hi,

We're working with OpenEmbedded/yocto in a project; we're trying to create an
HTML license report for our users, leveraging the license.manifest files output
from license_image.bbclass.

However some relatively crucial information relevant to the report isn't
provided in the manifests. The extra information I'm interested in is the
contents of the HOMEPAGE and SUMMARY variables for each package/blob recorded
by the manifest.

I'm proposing to submit a patch to add the following to `write_license_files`:

-                license_file.write("LICENSE: %s\n\n" % pkg_dic[pkg]["LICENSE"])
-
+                license_file.write("LICENSE: %s\n" % pkg_dic[pkg]["LICENSE"])
+                license_file.write("SUMMARY: %s\n" %
pkg_dic[pkg].get("SUMMARY", ""))
+                license_file.write("HOMEPAGE: %s\n\n" %
pkg_dic[pkg].get("HOMEPAGE", ""))

At the moment it isn't a problem for us if this extra information is missing
for /some/ packages, as long as it is included at least once per recipe (which
is the case).

The above patch would rely on another patch to add extra output in
package.bbclass::emit_pkg_data

+        write_if_exists(sf, pkg, 'HOMEPAGE')

We also have a bbclass to convert the license.manifest(s) to JSON format for
easier machine readability, so we can automate this process in our build
system. This bbclass is also potentially upstreamable.

My questions are: Would members of the community object to these patches? Are
there any other suggestions for grabbing this extra info without submitting the
patches? Would anyone else in the community find this useful?

Thanks,

Rob

medium. Thank you.