On 11/06/19 4:57 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 03:12:09PM +1200, Douglas Royds via Openembedded-core
wrote:
On 11/06/19 3:05 PM, Kang Kai wrote:

On 2019/6/11 上午11:04, Douglas Royds wrote:
On 11/06/19 2:46 PM, Kang Kai wrote:
Use option '-M' of git format-patch may make the patch more
clear. And why not just backport the 'disable-werror' commit?

Re '-M': True, fair point.

Re the backport: There hasn't been a release in over a year, they
don't seem to have any plans to do so (see
https://github.com/json-c/json-c/issues/487), and this was easier.
If you have a substantial objection, yes, I could submit it again
with a patch instead of the update.
Just consider footprint, git repo will take more space than tar ball.
But no substantial objection.

We do also lose the RECIPE_UPSTREAM_VERSION functionality by switching to
the git HEAD, ie. there'll be no notification when they do (eventually)
release a new version.

I'm in two minds. Opinions?
The biggest worry is actually whether some random git snapshot is as
stable as a release.

Unless there is a good reason why a git snapshot is better than
release plus backported patch, the default should be to not switch
to using a git snapshot.

Starting to follow git snapshots brings the risk of frequent regressions
since it follows the latest upstream development.

Fair enough, patch it is. Watch this space.