On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 3:09 AM Robert Berger
<oecore.mailingl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> That's not really a comment on the reorganization of compiler tunes, but
> more like "Do they actually do something meaningful?"
>
> I posted here[1] some benchmarks and at least with the benchmarks I
> tried on the chips I tried there is no obvious impact.
>
> i.mx6q:
>
> TUNE_FEATURES        = "arm armv7a vfp thumb callconvention-hard"
> TARGET_FPU           = "hard"
>
> vs.
>
> TUNE_FEATURES        = "arm vfp cortexa9 neon thumb callconvention-hard"
> TARGET_FPU           = "hard"
>

> i.m8mm:
>
> TUNE_FEATURES        = "aarch64 cortexa53 crc crypto"
> TARGET_FPU           = ""
>
> vs.
>
> TUNE_FEATURES        = "aarch64 armv8a crc crypto"
> TARGET_FPU           = ""
>

> [1]
> https://yoctoproject.blogspot.com/2020/09/compiler-tunes-benchmarks-with-yocto.html
>
> Should we expect so see differences?

There are more things at play here than simply performance.  But
speaking of performance, there might not be much of a benefit between
a generic ARMv8.0 and a ARMv8 based core (like A53), but I do expect
to see a performance bump for a ARMv8.2 based core (like A76).  The
delta between the former is much smaller than the latter.

The differences are not only performance.  Tuning for A76 versus a
more generic armv8a allows for security features like
branch-protection to be enabled (as it isn't supported in older
versions).  You get these kind of things "by default" when tuning for
the specific model.

Thanks,
Jon