On Wed 2020-12-23 @ 06:00:21 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> Personally, I don't really like the idea of having a top level
> directory called .psplash,

Neither do I, which is why I also added the code to remove the directory once
the psplash program is done running. Whenever psplash is run the directory is
created just before it starts and removed when psplash is done.

> is there a reason it doesn't work in /mnt?

This all works fine (without any changes) on the qemuX machines, but on a real
device (e.g. rpi) when the image is booted for the first time everything is
mounted, initially, RO, when using sysvinit. At the end of the first boot, and
for every subsequent boot, the filesystem is R/W, so everything works on
subsequent boots.

On first boot, the error message I get is:
        mkfifo: read-only filesystem
When the first boot is done, the last message is something along the lines of
not being able to umount.

If the directory exists in the filesystem already (as part of the image) then
psplash can create the fifo in it.