Unfortunately from what I just checked we cannot merge license manifests
because new manifest creation would require additional package sstate-cache
manifests (to get package contents) or to use package manager to get FILES
contect. That's also not really correct, since in license.manifest we don't
collect package data. Also current way license manifest creation does not
really care about RDEPENDS, for example it does not the real content of
packagegroups or kernel-modules packages that are under main kernel-modules
package. I don't find this correct and in my opinion this should be changed
in the future.

Having all that in mind I think the most reasonable way to keep the just
copy the manifests from intermediate image target to the final target, e.g.
copy foo-<machine>/image_license.manifest to
bar-<machine>/foo-<machine>-image_license.manifest. That way we will have
full knowledge about where the packages came from. I'll send a patch in a
moment.

Best regards,
Tomasz Dziendzielski