Please keep the conversation on the list.

Those are two different, independently developed projects:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pkg-config/pkg-config
https://github.com/pkgconf/pkgconf
and they are not fully compatible as you have just shown.

I'm not sure how pkgconf is able to decide that includedir is a path (short
of hardcoding that inside the source somewhere), but such logic needs to be
carefully investigated before we make use of it, e.g. by switching to
pkgconf in oe-core.

Alex