On Thu, 2022-01-13 at 23:11 +0100, Jacob Kroon wrote:
> On 1/13/22 23:07, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > On Thu, 2022-01-13 at 16:44 +0100, Jacob Kroon wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I often see this diff churn in my buildistory for shadow-native (and
> > > similar issues with icedtea7-native from meta-java):
> > >
> > > -drwxr-xr-x -          -                  40 ./var/spool/mail
> > > +drwxrwxr-x -          -                  40 ./var/spool/mail
> > >
> > > One can reproduce it with:
> > >
> > > # bitbake -c cleansstate shadow-native && \
> > >   bitbake shadow-native && \
> > >   bitbake -c clean shadow-native && \
> > >   bitbake shadow-native
> > >
> > > I see that the sstate package contains the correct permissions for
> > > 'mail', 775. So it would seem to me that it is the unpacking from sstate
> > > that strips the group write permission.
> > >
> > > Testing with the attached patch and the problem goes away.
> > >
> > > Is something like this the correct solution ?
> >
> > Is this with master?
> >
> > I'm wondering if your code has:
> >
> > https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?id=c4ecf7c1122380cdbc74fe692aa91756dc5bdf6b
> >
> > applied?
> >

> Yes, this is with master branches of bitbake/openembedded-core as of
> right now.
>
> So yes, I do have that patch applied.

I guess that whilst the default task umask is 022, some chmod operations may be
run to change permissions that don't match the umask. These are correctly
captured by the sstate archive but not preserved by tar at extraction.

I wonder if the correct fix is to all -p to the tar unpack command in
sstate.bbclass?

In many cases it would execute under pseudo so there wouldn't be this issue but
a native populate_sysroot wouldn't be under pseudo do we'd only see that here...