Hi Michael,

On 3/17/22 10:35, Michael Opdenacker via lists.openembedded.org wrote:

On 3/16/22 21:21, Michael Opdenacker via lists.openembedded.org wrote:
Greetings,

My patches sent to the mailing lists are causing trouble for Richard.

The reason is the "From" field is modified by the mailing list server. It's
From: "Michael Opdenacker via lists.yoctoproject.org"
<michael.opdenacker=bootlin....@lists.yoctoproject.org>
instead of
 From : Michael Opdenacker <michael.opdenac...@bootlin.com"
in my original patch.

And then when you try to apply the patch with "git am", you get a
modified committer name. This makes it harder for Richard to apply
patches, otherwise you get commits such as:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__git.yoctoproject.org_poky_log_-3Fqt-3Dauthor-26q-3Dvia&d=DwICaQ&c=_sEr5x9kUWhuk4_nFwjJtA&r=LYjLexDn7rXIzVmkNPvw5ymA1XTSqHGq8yBP6m6qZZ4njZguQhZhkI_-172IIy1t&m=AI6b75ihH3xBTnGsJf1p6Fk4ycTpByxqngp1ZhojT9rZ1xuLEsKCg2huL2l9DoRV&s=BWM5kPiChvtcTWQASNpxXSwDK1hcT3MEW1rhDPfcNtM&e=

If I understood correctly, the problem happens because we had to enable
DMARC on our domain (bootlin.com), because of a storm of spam messages
claiming to come from our domain. Otherwise our legitimate e-mails were
getting blocked by Google Mail.

Richard recalls that someone once found a workaround for this issue. Did
any of you ever face this?

The problem seems to originate from the behavior of "git am"... As its
manual says
(https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__git-2Dscm.com_docs_git-2Dam&d=DwICaQ&c=_sEr5x9kUWhuk4_nFwjJtA&r=LYjLexDn7rXIzVmkNPvw5ymA1XTSqHGq8yBP6m6qZZ4njZguQhZhkI_-172IIy1t&m=AI6b75ihH3xBTnGsJf1p6Fk4ycTpByxqngp1ZhojT9rZ1xuLEsKCg2huL2l9DoRV&s=hTmUlxaJ49ljTkpvEGIJbGeKpfayoSbuOdB_mOttSnU&e=
 ):

"The commit author name is taken from the "From: " line of the message"

... and there seems to be no way to override this behavior.

Maybe there's something you can do to configure git send-email to add your

From: Michael Opdenacker <michael.opdenac...@bootlin.com"

at the top of the mail. See my patches on the ML to see what I mean exactly but that should make it nicer to maintainers because this From will be used and not the one from the mailbox's from field.

FWIW, I did nothing in the configuration of git to have this, it's just that it probably detects that the sendemail.from config is different from the commit author mail address and adds it.

Cheers,
Quentin