Yes, I was actually going to send the patch for this today. :)

Ross
________________________________
From: Chen, Qi <qi.c...@windriver.com>
Sent: Friday, May 6, 2022 4:44:32 AM
To: openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org
<openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org>
Cc: Ross Burton <ross.bur...@arm.com>; richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org
<richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org>; raj.k...@gmail.com <raj.k...@gmail.com>
Subject: GIT_CONFIG_PARAMETERS does not work

Hi Ross & Richard,

I’m building hardknott on host with git 2.36.0. And gnulib do_install fails
with git unsafe repo error.

The same error could be reproduced by reverting Khem’s fix for gnulib
do_install and building gnulib against master.

| fatal: unsafe repository
('/ala-lpggp72/qichen/Yocto/builds/build-master/tmp/work/core2-64-poky-linux/gnulib/2018-03-07.03-r0/git'
 is owned by someone else)

| To add an exception for this directory, call:

|       git config --global --add safe.directory
/ala-lpggp72/qichen/Yocto/builds/build-master/tmp/work/core2-64-poky-linux/gnulib/2018-03-07.03-r0/git

I can see that we have already been trying to use the GIT_CONFIG_PARAMETERS to
solve this issue. Related changes are:

“””

+# Treat all directories are safe, as during fakeroot tasks git will run as

+# root so recent git releases (eg 2.30.3) will refuse to work on repositories.
See

+# https://github.com/git/git/commit/8959555cee7ec045958f9b6dd62e541affb7e7d9
for

+# further details.

+export GIT_CONFIG_PARAMETERS="'safe.directory=*'"

“””

However, following the link above and I can see that the commit message says:

“””

    The `safe.directory` config setting is only respected in the system and

    global configs, not from repository configs or via the command-line, and

can have multiple values to allow for multiple shared repositories.

“””

If I understand it correctly, this means that the command line environment
variables have no effect.

Also, I figure if some user could set his/her own environment variable to
bypass this security check, then this security check does not make much sense.

So I think we should use the intercept script approach and add back the
following line.

PATH:prepend:task-install = "${COREBASE}/scripts/git-intercept:"

What do you think?

Regards,

Qi

medium. Thank you.