On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 at 22:52, Richard Purdie
<richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> One thing that concerns me a little is that this mixes two things,
> layer setup (as in repos) and configuration. I'm nervous about json
> config which effectively has to duplicate the list of machines/distros
> in layers.
>
> Where is the distro/machine data used?

The use case I was thinking of is doing something useful with this
information *before* doing actual checkout. I would even appreciate
knowing in advance - maybe even by just looking at the json through
gitweb ui - which machines, distros and config templates I would be
getting, and from which layers. Also the proposed oe-setup tool could
do useful things with this information, if it operates from the json
definitions in the same format. You can discover and supply all needed
information up front, and oe-setup will land you in a bitbake session.
Without it, you have to first do the layer setup, then the
configuration discovery, then the configuration setup, as separate
commands - I'd say that would be an inferior experience for the users.

> Are these the only config options people will want to add or will we
> have others? init system? libc? Or feature information about which
> configurations are expected to work? I worry this is a magnet for
> future feature creep and duplication of information.

These are not the same, as machines and distros are specifically
defined in layers as .conf files in pre-determined locations. Other
things are defined as variables in files, and aren't as easily
discoverable by code. I only want to allow programmatically
discoverable options (that are guaranteed to be in lockstep with the
layer revision) in the json; no one should ever write or modify the
json by hand.

> I can see where the buildconfigs are used but again, does the json file
> need to encode those or could you determine them by inspection of the
> layers once setup?

In addition to the above point (knowing them in advance is useful),
there is no fixed location for these in layers. You could perhaps walk
the layer trees, but I'd rather place the info in the json.

> Also, if there is new version of this series, could you squash in these
> copyright/license tweaks please:
>
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?h=master-next&id=45b396298c1dd638bb702f5251b4a663f07978ca

This is the easy part :-) Hope the above clarifies a bit what went on
in my head when I was writing the code.

Alex