On 10/11/2022 21.32, Paul Eggleton via lists.openembedded.org wrote:
> Hi Richard
>
> On Thursday, 10 November 2022 11:14:24 NZDT Richard Purdie wrote:

>> Adding in yet further if/else paths with magic variables to control
>> them isn't filling me with confidence.
>
> I understand that. I was hoping to figure out a way to avoid adding
> significant
> extra complexity.

FWIW, we've long since given up on using kernel-fitimage.bbclass, it is
way to inflexible (e.g. there's no way to build two FIT images with the
same kernel but different initramfs).

It is much simpler to just have a separate small kernel-fit.bb recipe
which pulls vmlinux or Image or whatnot, plus the .dtbs, from
DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE along with the initramfs images, provide our own .its
file(s), and build the FIT image(s) there. That automatically avoids
rebuilding the kernel when only something in initramfs has changed.

Building the kernel and packaging the binary into some container format
really doesn't need to be done in the same recipe.

Rasmus