On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 11:35 AM Chen Qi via lists.openembedded.org
<Qi.Chen=windriver....@lists.openembedded.org> wrote:

> I found some clue, but not the root cause yet.
> The eth0 is renamed to enp0s2 by 80-net-setup-link.rules udev rule in
> systemd. And the connman.conf only blacklists eth0.
>
> The related log is:
> Aug 08 15:18:16 qemux86-64 kernel[213]: [    1.727332] virtio_net virtio0
> enp0s2: renamed from eth0 (while UP)
>
> The systemd udev configuration file is:
> root@qemux86-64:~# cat /lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules
> # do not edit this file, it will be overwritten on update
> SUBSYSTEM!="net", GOTO="net_setup_link_end"
> IMPORT{builtin}="path_id"
> ACTION=="remove", GOTO="net_setup_link_end"
> IMPORT{builtin}="net_setup_link"
> NAME=="", ENV{ID_NET_NAME}!="", NAME="$env{ID_NET_NAME}"
> LABEL="net_setup_link_end"
>
> And the connman configuration file is:
> root@qemux86-64:~# cat /etc/connman/main.conf
> [General]
> NetworkInterfaceBlacklist = eth0
>
> In contrary, with 6.1 kernel, the renaming failed with the following message:
> Aug 08 15:29:58 qemux86-64 (udev-worker)[206]: enp0s2: Network interface
> 'eth0' is already up, cannot rename to 'enp0s2'.
>
> Maybe some changes in new kernel allows renaming network interface while it's
> up?

This brings back a memory of something I ran into on a build server
when upgrading to a "newer" 6.2 kernel,

I had to disable interface renaming in order to get a consistent
network configuration, and did that via "net.ifnames=0" on the kernel
command line.

Bruce

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end