Hello Enrico,

Le ven. 1 sept. 2023, 18:34, Enrico Scholz via lists.openembedded.org
<enrico.scholz=sigma-chemnitz...@lists.openembedded.org> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> rust recipe does
>
> | do_compile () {
> | }
> |
> | rust_do_install() {
> |     rust_runx install
> | }
> |
> | rust_do_install:class-nativesdk() {
> |     export PSEUDO_UNLOAD=1
> |     rust_runx install
> |     rust_runx install clippy
> |     rust_runx install rustfmt
>

> What is the reason to run the expensive "rust_runx" in do_install() and
> not in do_compile().
>
> This:
>
> - is unexpected... do_install is usually expected to run fast
>
> - might interfere with different ${PARALLEL_MAKE} and ${PARALLEL_MAKEINST}
>   setup
>
> - might slow down the build process because the 'class-native' variant
>   seems to run with active 'pseudo'
>

> I guess it is done in this way because of
>
> |    config.set("install", "prefix",  e(d.getVar("D") +
> d.getVar("prefix")))
>
> where '${D}' is cleared by do_install.
>

> Wouldn't it be better to replace this by
>
> |    config.set("install", "prefix",  e(d.getVar("B") + '/_install' +
> d.getVar("prefix")))
>

> | do_compile () {
> |     rust_runx install
> |     rust_runx install clippy
> |     rust_runx install rustfmt
> | }
> |
> | rust_do_install() {
> |     cp -a ${B}/_install ${D}
>
> ?
>

> [adding 'rustfmt' to 'class-native' would be nice because e.g. 'bindgen'
>  users might expect it]

I don't know why this was done that way and I lacked xp for telling you if
your suggestion is correct. But I just wanna tell that the
do_install:rust-native is very long (more than 45mn on my machine) so you
may have a point here.

Enrico