On Tue, 12 Sept 2023 at 16:44, Stephen Jolley <sjolley.yp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexander Kanavin will be working on the core workflow topic

I am now ready to start doing this, but before I do, I'd like to
decompose the subject into manageable tasks with a bit of help from RP
and the community:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/community/yocto-project-engineering-request-for-quotation/

====
Core Workflow – Process Improvements

Background

The project builds everything from source by default. This means it
has a reputation for being slow and heavy. There are ways the project
can accelerate this which means faster workflows and improved
developer experience but these are currently cumbersome to use.

Rationale

The project aims to defragment customised embedded Linux. This is
important as if we succeed at this, it gives benefits to the wider
ecosystem through making it easier to inject security fixes and an
ability to share and collaborate without re-inventing the wheel.

To do this, we need to provide best-in-class support and compete
against binary distributions for usability and speed. One way we can
do this is provide better support for binary artifacts via our sstate
mechanism. We do already have some of this functionality in our
“extensible SDK” or “eSDK”.

Deliverables

Enable a public sstate mirror via a content delivery network (CDN) and
populate using the autobuilder
Ensure CDN sstate is reused under normal use case scenarios,
particularly for slow components like rust-native. Identify any common
sstate mismatch causes. Ensure test cases are added to cover the use
cases and prevent regressions.
Add lock and unlock commands to allow specific components to be locked
down to specific sstate checksums or allow them to vary
Allow switching between eSDK and non-eSDK modes
Add tooling so we can understand why something is rebuilding when it
isn’t expected to.
=======

So: where to start? Do we need to 'design' something, or maybe time
should go directly into addressing specific sore points? All feedback
welcome.

There's also an unfinished patchset for adding bblock/bbunlock, which
I would prefer to *not* 'take over and finish' but rather see the
author get it merged:
https://patchwork.yoctoproject.org/project/oe-core/list/?series=15276

Thanks,
Alex