On Tue, 2023-10-31 at 19:33 -0700, Tim Orling wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 7:26 PM Anuj Mittal <anuj.mit...@intel.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2023-10-31 at 14:20 +0000, Trevor Gamblin wrote:
> > > Thank you for your submission. Patchtest identified one
> > > or more issues with the patch. Please see the log below for
> > > more information:
> > >
> > > ---
> > > Testing patch /home/patchtest/share/mboxes/patchtest-shorten-
> > > test-
> > > result-outputs.patch
> > >
> > > FAIL: test CVE presence in commit message: A CVE tag should be
> > > provided in the commit message with format: "CVE: CVE-YYYY-XXXX"
> > > (test_mbox.TestMbox.test_cve_presence_in_commit_message)
> >
> > Is this a requirement to have this in commit message in this
> > format? I
> > don't think this was being followed until now. A lot of patches
> > seem to
> > be failing this test as a result.
> >

> This was required when patchtest was running previously. It has been
> ignored for a while now, but that does not mean we should not enforce
> it. It should be documented as required.
>
> The tags allow for machines to parse the relevant info. Anything else
> is purely random and chaos.

The tag is already required to be present in the CVE patch itself which
is/can be parsed by scripts which actually I think is a better way of
detecting whether a CVE is patched rather than looking at commit
messages.

If having it in a specific format in commit message as well helps,
sure. It shouldn't take time to add it but we seem to be adding too
many rules ...

Thanks,

Anuj