On 2024-04-15 10:41 a.m., Ninette Adhikari via lists.openembedded.org wrote:
This work is done according to "Milestone 9: Build performance test report
view" as stated in the Scope of Work with Sovereign Tech Fund (STF)
(https://www.sovereigntechfund.de/).
The current report can be accessed here:
Performance test report HTML
(https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/non-release/20240117-15/testresults/buildperf-alma8/perf-alma8_master_20240117090048_663f180574.html)
The report is created using the `oe-build-perf-report` script in the poky
repository. This script generates a performance test report in HTML format
using the data from the yocto-buildstats
(https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-buildstats/) repository.
The report displays the performance test results in line chart format. The
chart x-axis represents the commit numbers, and the y-axis represents the test
duration in minutes.
The report also includes a table that displays the measurement statistics data
for each test. The report is interactive and allows users to zoom in on
specific sections of the line chart.

The current report format required some updates to make it more interactive and
user-friendly. And this patch addresses such improvements:

- Add Apache echart (https://echarts.apache.org/en/index.html) library to
create oe build performance report charts and make them interactive.
- Restructure data to time and value array format to be used by echarts. It
also converts test duration to minutes and adds zoom to the line charts.
- Update measurement statistics data to include `start_time` so that time can
be displayed instead of commit numbers on the chart. It also updates default
commit history length to 300.
- Add styling updates including page margin, labels for x and y axis, tooltip,
and section descriptions.

Updated report screenshots:
https://github.com/neighbourhoodie/poky/assets/13760198/65a1890c-fd2a-40d4-ac90-f13055735e53
https://github.com/neighbourhoodie/poky/assets/13760198/1ed43876-73a9-487e-aed3-ca0edf97514c

Thanks for the nice, dynamic UI web graphs!
Overall, I find them useful and well-designed.

Would it be possible to present the data in a more discrete manner since
the interpolated view presented now, while nice to look at, does not always
reflect the underlying data trend?

For example, if I have this data plotted as 1) stair-steps or 2) line segments (I didn't take the time to do a spline fit),

I find that the line style for 1) is usually less misleading about what we really know about the data.

1) stair-step

2) straight lines:

and I'd like to see this data:

plotted in the stair-step style.

http://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/non-release/20240413-19/testresults/buildperf-debian11/perf-debian11_master-next_20240413064005_7116cd908d.html

For local setup, you can do the following:

1. Clone the yocto-buildstats (https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-buildstats/)
and the poky repository (https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/)

2. In the poky repository run the following to build the report HTML:
```bash
./scripts/oe-build-perf-report -r "LOCAL_PATH_TO_YOCTO_BUILDSTATS" --branch "master" --commit
"663f1805742ff6fb6955719d0ab7846a425debcf" --branch2 "master" --html > test.html
```
Note:
- Add your local path to the yocto-buildstats repo
- The above command builds the report in a file called `test.html`. You can
access it in the root directory in poky.
- This exmaple report uses the commit
`663f1805742ff6fb6955719d0ab7846a425debcf` from `master` branch.

I tried that out:

❯ cd .../distro/yocto/yocto-bs-html

❯ ../poky.git/scripts/oe-build-perf-report -r "/media/rmacleod/gitter/rmacleod/src/distro/yocto/yocto-bs-html/../yocto-buildstats.git" --branch "master" --commit "663f1805742ff6fb6955719d0ab7846a425debcf" --branch2 "master" --html > test.html ERROR: No buildstats found, please try running 'git fetch origin refs/notes/buildstats/perf-alma8/master/qemux86:refs/notes/buildstats/perf-alma8/master/qemux86' to fetch them from the remote

so I did that.  It was > 3 GB of data...  !!

Receiving objects:  89% (10568/11747), 2.03 GiB | 3.28 MiB/s6 MiB/s

❯ du -sh .
3.2G    .

Also, one shouldn't have to call bash just to run your script since you shell does that already if you have the right #!/path/to/foo and you have made the script executable:

❯ file ../poky.git/scripts/oe-build-perf-report
../poky.git/scripts/oe-build-perf-report: Python script, ASCII text executable

❯ head -1 ../poky.git/scripts/oe-build-perf-report
#!/usr/bin/env python3

Anyway, that did generate a test.html file in ~ 10 seconds for me on my Pop!OS (Ubuntu-based) distro
and it rendered nicely in Firefox 124.0.1 (64-bit) so that's nice to see.

Thanks again,

../Randy

Ninette Adhikari (3):
   oe-build-perf-report: Add apache echarts to make report interactive
   oe-build-perf-report: Display more than 300 commits and date instead
     of commit number
   oe-build-perf-report: Improve report styling and add descriptions

  .../build_perf/html/measurement_chart.html    | 116 +++++++++++-------
  scripts/lib/build_perf/html/report.html       |  96 ++++++++++-----
  scripts/lib/build_perf/report.py              |   4 +-
  scripts/oe-build-perf-report                  |   6 +-

# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux