On Thu, May 02, 2024 at 02:57:30PM +0200, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On Thu, 2 May 2024 at 14:52, Patrick Williams <patr...@stwcx.xyz> wrote:
>
> > I'm not convinced this is true.  As I wrote, the final result of
> > PACKAGECONFIG is exactly what I expect; it includes `python` for the
> > btrfs-tools-native and doesn't for the plain btrfs-tools:
> >
> > ```
> > # pre-expansion value:
> > #   "     programs     convert     python     crypto-builtin "
> > PACKAGECONFIG="     programs     convert     python     crypto-builtin "
> > ```
>
> Run experiments with plain poky and changes in local.conf, and that
> will convince you.
>
> > I've also tried switching to this, which is very clearly a "target"
> > qualifier and have the same exact results; it applies on "native"
> > `inherit_defer` evaluations:
> >
> > btrfs-tools_%.bbappend with...
> > ```
> > PACKAGECONFIG:remove:class-target = "python"
> > ```
>
> class-target:remove, not the other way around.

This is almost never correct and there is not a single example of it in
poky.  There _are_ examples of exactly what I wrote.

If you do `PACKAGECONFIG:class-target:remove` and there is not already
an explicit `PACKAGECONFIG:class-target` defined, this in effect creates
a _new_ _empty_ variable `PACKAGECONFIG:class-target`.  This is nearly
never what you want.  You typically want to take the base contents of
`PACAKGECONFIG` and remove something from it explicitly for the
`class-target` class.  What I wrote is exactly how to do that and what
there are multiple examples of in poky (see tclibc-barmetal.inc,
no-gplv3.inc, meta-openembedded uim_1.8.8.bb).

--
Patrick Williams