On 6/14/13 3:53 AM, Burton, Ross wrote:
On 14 June 2013 09:09,  <jackie.hu...@windriver.com> wrote:
From: Jackie Huang <jackie.hu...@windriver.com>

While it is not necessary that shared libraries be executable,
if they are not marked as such bitbake will not examine them
for debug information.  So, we make them executable at the end of
installation.

Wouldn't it be preferable to change the class that does the debug
extraction so that it doesn't require executable bits on libraries?
Fix the cause not the symptoms and all that.

I thought the class specifically looked for items in ${base_libdir} and ${libdir} as well as executables elsewhere in the system.

We don't want to blindly scan and filter everything that is ELF, so the executable flag makes sense outside of the libdir.

from package.bbclass, split_and_strip_files:

    libdir = os.path.abspath(dvar + os.sep + d.getVar("libdir", True))
    baselibdir = os.path.abspath(dvar + os.sep + d.getVar("base_libdir", True))

        for root, dirs, files in cpath.walk(dvar):
            for f in files:

                # Check its an excutable
if (s[stat.ST_MODE] & stat.S_IXUSR) or (s[stat.ST_MODE] & stat.S_IXGRP) or (s[stat.ST_MODE] & stat.S_IXOTH) \ or ((file.startswith(libdir) or file.startswith(baselibdir)) and ".so" in f):

                    if elf ...
                        add to list of files to split/strip

So the above iterates and checks if it is executable -or- lives in the libdir and baselibdir directory -and- contains '.so' in the name.

If this is not working, we need to fix it.. If this is working, but something later isn't, we need to fix that then.

It may be that the tool we're using (debugedit) requires the binaries to be executable, if that is the case then we'll need to capture the original perms, add executable, run debugedit and restore them. But this will need some further investigation.

Ross