On Wed, 2014-01-08 at 16:05 +0100, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> On 01/08/2014 02:50 PM, Philip Balister wrote:
> > On 01/08/2014 08:24 AM, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> >> Probably a silly question that has been asked a thousand times, but my
> >> searches on Google only give me the answer to the wrong question (how to
> >> build FOR the target, which I already know how to do).
> >>
> >> I want to run the C compiler on the board itself. That is, a GCC that
> >> runs on the board and compiles (and links etc.) C code for that board.
> >>
> >> What package(s) do I need to build and install to accomplish this?
> >
> >  From one of my images:
> >

> > IMAGE_FEATURES += "splash ssh-server-openssh tools-sdk \
> > tools-debug debug-tweaks \
> > dev-pkgs dbg-pkgs \
> > "
> > looks like tools-sdk is the one you want. dev- and dbg- packages might
> > also be helpful, but will make the image larger. Especially the debug ones.
>
> $ bitbake tools-sdk
> ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'tools-sdk'
>
> So I guess it's a package that's provided in another layer (I have oe-core
> and
> most of meta-oe).

No, tools-sdk it's not a bitbake target/package, it's an image feature
that you need to add it to your image, e.g in local.conf:
IMAGE_FEATURES_append = " tools-sdk"
You'll probably want to add dev-pkgs too (that will install the devel
packages/headers)

The glory details are in core-image.bbclass, basically tools-sdk
installs packagegroup-core-sdk and
packagegroup-core-standalone-sdk-target. These are actually targets that
you can build. If you want to see exactly on which packages these groups
depend on you can have a look at
meta/recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-core*sdk*.bb recipes.

Cheers,
Stefan