On 18/01/2016 10:55 AM, Christopher Larson wrote:

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 4:02 AM, Max Krummenacher <max.oss...@gmail.com
<mailto:max.oss...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Am Dienstag, den 17.11.2015, 09:46 +0100 schrieb Andreas Müller:
    > Hi,
    >
    > this bugs me for a while and I wonder if I am again the only one
    > facing this: I get floods of warnings for sourcecode files as
    >
    > WARNING: QA Issue: qtserialport:
    > /qtserialport-dbg/usr/src/debug/qtserialport/5.5.99+5.6.0-alpha1
    +gitAUTOINC+2575d33fab-r0/git/src/serialport/qserialport_p.h
    > is owned by uid 1000, which is the same as the user running bitbake.
    > This may be due to host contamination [host-user-contaminated]
    > WARNING: QA Issue: qtx11extras:
    > /qtx11extras-dbg/usr/src/debug/qtx11extras/5.5.99+5.6.0-alpha1
    +gitAUTOINC+d64ee96f0d-r0/git/src/x11extras/qx11info_x11.cpp
    > is owned by uid 1000, which is the same as the user running bitbake.
    > This may be due to host contamination [host-user-contaminated]
    > WARNING: QA Issue: qtxmlpatterns:
    > /qtxmlpatterns-dbg/usr/src/debug/qtxmlpatterns/5.5.99+5.6.0-alpha1
    +gitAUTOINC+94136d4280-r0/git/src/xmlpatterns/type/qbuiltintypes.cpp
    > is owned by uid 1000, which is the same as the user running bitbake.
    > This may be due to host contamination [host-user-contaminated]
    >
    > I checked PACKAGE_DEBUG_SPLIT_STYLE is not set globally - few recipes
    > set PACKAGE_DEBUG_SPLIT_STYLE to debug-without-src.
    >
    > Help appreciated
    >
    > Andreas

    I see this also in my builds. The warnings clutter the build output in a
    way that makes the warnings mostly useless. Who will spot the one
    important new warning in the hundreds of host-user-contaminated ones?
    A fresh build of core-image-minimal today gave me 54 of these warnings.
    All but one (glibc-locale) complaining on source files.

    I checked a few recipes and most of them were not even using a custom
    do_install but autotools generated 'make install' with something like
    'cp -p src/* dest/' or so.

Yes, this is the most common case. Usage of cp -a or cp -p means the build
ownership is retained, and no chown is run to fix it.

    Even if I know how to do it I think we should not patch upstream sources
    to suppress a warning introduced by the downstream build system with
    loads of false positives and then have to maintain the patches as
    upstream is progressing.

Either we're calling the upstream buildsystem and not running cp directly, in
which case it's a bug in the upstream buildsystem, since make install will
result
in non-deterministic behavior in the ownership of the installed files, or it's
a cp -a case, which doesn't require altering upstream with a patch at all, only
recipe modification.

    I haven't looked into how one does it but I'm inclined to switch of the
    warning globally, e.g. in local.conf.

Blindly disabling them will just result in ignoring a problem. Files in the
target filesystem are owned by your build user, who most likely doesn't even
exist
on target.

For me the issues are all reported with -dbg packages.
All are source files in /<packagename>-dbg/usr/src/debug/<packagename>/...
Last build had 126 packages with the warning.
Including things like:
gcc-linaro-4.9: gcc: /gcc-dbg/usr/src/debug/gcc/linaro-4.9-r2015.06/gcc-linaro-4.9-2015.06/build.arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi.arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/gcc/tm-preds.h is owned by uid 1000, which is the same as the user running bitbake. This may be due to host contamination [host-user-contaminated] systemd-226+gitAUTOINC+4211d5bd13: systemd: /systemd-dbg/usr/src/debug/systemd/1_226+gitAUTOINC+4211d5bd13-r0/git/src/udev/scsi_id/scsi_serial.c is owned by uid 1000, which is the same as the user running bitbake. This may be due to host contamination [host-user-contaminated] perl-5.22.0: perl: /perl-dbg/usr/src/debug/perl/5.22.0-r0/perl-5.22.0/ext/re/re_exec.c is owned by uid 1000, which is the same as the user running bitbake. This may be due to host contamination [host-user-contaminated]

--
Regards
Phil Reid