On Thu, 27 Oct 2016, Olof Johansson wrote:

> On 16-10-27 08:46 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   ack ... never mind, i see my fundamental misunderstanding. i
> > thought all of the recipes being processed via the "perl-modules"
> > package were being (if necessary) downloaded from CPAN, or
> > something like that, then turned into installable rpms. i didn't
> > look closely enough into the perl source to see that all the
> > modules listed in "perl-rdepends_5.22.1.inc" are already in the
> > perl source tree.
> >
> >   so i'm back to my original question -- what is the proper way to
> > add arbitrary perl modules to an image? if someone has a simple
> > example of how it's done, that'd be great. as proof-of-concept,
> > i'd like to add the Text::Template module to my "qemuppc" target.
> >
> >   thoughts? sorry for all the earlier noise, i thought i had it
> > figured out but ... no.
>
> Hi,
>
> Take a look at meta-perl in the meta-openembedded repository. It
> contains a lot of recipes for Perl modules (Text::Template isn't one
> of them though).

  yes, i *finally* clued in to how it's done ... i'll just start
whipping together recipes files for the modules i need, given that
most of them will be standard boilerplate, it shouldn't take that
long, just make a list and start writing.

> The cpan class in oe-core knows how to build Makefile.PL
> (ExtUtils::MakeMaker) based perl modules (like Text::Template), and
> cpan_build knows how to handle Build.PL (Module::Build) based perl
> modules.

  yup, i noticed that, too.

> Note also the naming convention of perl-module-foo is used by core
> modules (those shipped with perl itself); the convention used for
> third party cpan modules is "libfoo-perl", e.g.
> libtext-template-perl.

  ah, i was unaware of that, thanks. so i'll know how to name my
recipes now, thanks very much.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca