On 12/05/2016 04:51 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:

On 5 December 2016 at 21:48, Haris Okanovic <haris.okano...@ni.com
<mailto:haris.okano...@ni.com>> wrote:

    Opkg can defer running postinst scripts to first boot, which can take
    a while on some systems. The output of `opkg configure` (or whatever pm
    is used) is redirected to a file when logging is enabled
    (I.e. $POSTINST_LOGGING == 1), making the machine appear hung during
    this process. This change simply prints a wait message on the console
    to inform the user of this potentially long and silent operation so
    that they do not mistakenly reboot their machine.

This isn't opkg specific, all backends can do it.

I wrote a more generic commit message in V2.

    Why not simply `tee` the output instead?
    Tee might be provided by BusyBox in some distros, which may need to run
    update-alternatives in the very postinst scripts being executed by this
    process. It's therefore not safe to assume Tee (or any other packaged
    util) is available until the configure process finishes.

Are the alternatives not configured at rootfs time, so it should be fine
to run tee?  (as if tee isn't safe, then neither is sed).

`tee` wasn't configured in Fido builds of NI Linux RT -- I.e. Busybox.postinst got deferred. I'm not sure if that's the OE default or the result of some distro-specific tweaks we made, but I decided not to rely on it for that reason. It's possible tee might work on some configurations.

I'm not sure why sed is significant. The only non-builtins in run-postinsts are update-rc.d, rm, and $pm.

Ross