On 11/18/2010 03:31 AM, Phil Blundell wrote:
On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 21:31 +1030, Graham Gower wrote:
So, why not just branch it already and apply the same commit policy as
the existing stable branch.

Essentially because nobody has yet volunteered to do the ongoing
maintenance work that would be involved in having a long-lived stable
branch.  And, if OE is going to have releases off master on a fairly
frequent schedule (I think the proposal is four releases per year or
thereabouts) then the requirement for such a branch is somewhat
diminished.

If you're interested in doing the work to maintain a new stable branch
along the same lines as stable/2009, and you can commit the time that is
required to make it work, then you are certainly very welcome to do so.
You don't need any particular permission to do this: you can (subject to
the Branching Policy) create a new branch at any time.

I'd like to emphasize this point, the tag is a sane place for people to start from. The OE project deliver meta-data for people to build products on. It is the responsibility of the people delivering images/packages to people to manage their own branches for maintenance.

We certainly encourage groups of people to collaborate with each other to maintain branches, but I don't see a one policy suits all branch.

One man's stable is anothers stagnant.

Philip