The final, last, terminal, dead, deceased, never-any-more,
move-to-python3-now release of python2 2.7.18 was released on April 19. I
have posted a patch to upgrade meta-python2 to 2.7.18. Please test. If you
care, test a lot.

I intend to also apply this release to the "dunfell" branch. Since it is
the first Yocto Project LTS release and this 2.7 release is close enough
for horse-shoes and tiddly-winks.

After this month (April 2020), I have no motivation to continue supporting
python2. I do not use python2 and have not since bitbake was upgraded to
use python3. My employer does not use python2. The meta-python2 layer will
be best-effort only support unless other maintainers step up.

If you want recipe upgrades, now is the time to send patches. Dead men tell
no tales.

--Tim