Hello all,

I would like to discuss an architecture solution to ease support for
alternative init systems.

As of now, OpenEmbedded supports sysvinit and systemd as first-class citizens
but does so by including required files in the main package based on the value
of the VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init-manager variable. This forces layers, like
meta-openrc for example, to remove files generated by other layers before
providing their own. This increases the maintenance burden for layer
maintainers of these alternative init systems while making them always feel
like second-class citizens.

My solution would be to generate specific packages for each init system
(${PN}-sysvinit, ${PN}-systemd, ...) and RDEPENDS on them given the value of
the VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init-manager variable. This would simplify recipes because
filtering files would no longer be required since all packages would be
generated and other layers would simply provide their ${PN}-altinit package
through bbappends.
I have made a PoC on the 'kirkstone' branch but this kind of modification
requires all recipes to adapt to the new architecture and therefore I would
like to know if you would accept such modifications.

Best regards,
--
Mathieu ANQUETIN