Hi,

Yocto was sticking to a single PHP series for the lifetime of
one release, which may or may not be applicable to a
specific application.

Because of this, I have been maintaining multiple PHP versions
for a long time to satisfy such applications that we developed
in-house.

These recipes are prefixed with phpNN where NN is the PHP
major version without the dot.

These recipes are now public at https://github.com/zboszor/meta-parallel-php

These PHP builds are much closer to Red Hat / Fedora than the recipes
in Yocto, as in PHP modules are mostly built as shared modules.

Yocto versions 3.4 Honister and newer are supported.

PHP 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 are only supported in the honister branch.
These old versions cannot be built in kirkstone or later,
mostly due to the "icu" changes in Yocto.

PHP 7.4, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 are supported in all branches.

External module recipes are also available, in some cases :
phpNN-pecl-crack
phpNN-pecl-inotify
phpNN-pecl-mcrypt (for PHP 7.2 and up)
phpNN-nano
phpNN-pecl-ncurses
phpNN-pecl-pam
phpNN-posix-realtime
phpNN-screw
phpNN-pecl-sodium (for PHP 7.0 and 7.1 only, this module is in PHP 7.2+)
phpNN-pecl-ssh2
phpNN-pecl-timezonedb
phpNN-pecl-xdebug

These recipes use the parallel-php-module.bbclass to execute
phpizeNN ; ./configure ; make for the build.

To make one specific PHP series the default, i.e. to provide the
php, pear, etc. names, the phpNN-symlinks package can be installed.
These symlinks are using the alternatives symlinks with the NN number
used as priority.

php.ini and php-fpm configuration files are not included, similarly to
the Yocto php recipe.

Versioned recipes for composer are also available in both
native and target builds. Only one of the target builds may be
installed at a time, though.

Another class called parallel-php-native.bbclass is also
available that allows using phpNN-native and the
corresponding composer-phpNN-native during the build
of PHP apps that use "composer install".

Practically, it's a very small subset of what https://rpms.remirepo.net/
is doing.

Comments, issues and PRs on my github repo is welcome.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi