*Cool, thanks for all the input!*

Sebastien, your approach seems very useful, and has even extended use in
other situations...
Alexandre, thanks, I'll have a look at it.
Grahame, if I relate the little I understand with my question, I would need
two files to compare, I would prefer however the diff built in grep (SA
fixing the EOL issue)

However, I think git already provides the tools for it onboard (git diff -S
[string] or git diff -G [grep]). It might save time over initiallizing a DB
with all modules. The problem here is, that the EOL in the core changes
occasionally when developing is done across Windows or Unix machines
(missing settings in .gitattribute), I think anyhow SA should fix this.

*Ragards*