Hello.

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 01:14, Antonio Ospite wrote:

>From what I understood the real driver for the GPS module runs on BP,

Not sure if is a real driver or just some code which transfers some
NMEA ouput recieved on the serial port of the BP from the GPS chip to
the binary protocol. It is interesting but in the end we don't need to
careabout this. :)

> and AP communicates with and interface to that driver with some custom
> binary protocol on mux14 (it's not SiFR (but looks similar), nor
> motorola '@@Xx' binary protocol). So there is no firmware needed to
> enable the GPS, on one hand this setup is good, but on the other hand I
> suspect we will have some limitation on the features if we have to
> stick to this custom (and still unknown) protocol.

Not sure about real limitations. As long as we can enable and disable
the GPS vwith some special ST command and have a small plugin for gpsd
to translate from the binary protocol to NMEA again I'm totally fine
with the features.

What worries me more is that the BP have control over the GPS and we
can not verify _what_ the BP tells the GPS. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but
I don't like the idea of having something that can send out my current
GPS coordinates via gsm/gprs all the time. But that's a problem we
can't fix now.

> Luckily, being lapisrv very verbose about the messages it sends we can
> reconstruct a very big part of this protocol (the structures fields are
> all exposed in the debug output), and for the semantics... well, we
> will see.

Cool

> So here's a first experiment to take some data from the AGPS:
> http://people.openezx.org/ao2/gps/gpsmux-2007-08-29-00-58-50.tar.bz2

Great. :)

Once we have code that translates it into something standard we should
care about making it a gpsd plugin. Every linux application which care
about gps is able to communicate with gpsd, so once the plugin works
all the work is done. :)

Thanks a lot for working on this.

regards
Stefan Schmidt