Thank you for the response! I've had my eth0 interface down for the last few hours, so I wasn't getting my email, but I've finally gotten the damn thing working & even using a 169.254.x.x address, whew!

So the problem turns out to be that the zip file I had finally found was essentially a "best try" and I had *completely* missed some of the information in http://wiki.openezx.org/Get_a_shell. This is even more embarrassing since I've even edited this page in the past. :( The information I needed was in the "A1200 and E6 needs different setup -- This should go into CardRegistry..." part of the #Using_LinLoader section.

I can't tell you the exactly what part of this CardRegistry file that I changed made the difference between an "Invalid application file" and a valid one, but I'm glad I finally got it truly working. At this point, my primary concern is getting my data off of the phone (contacts, text message history, etc.), so I'm certainly not interested in flashing it! :)

However, I *think* that all of my data is in /ezx_user/sysDatabase/main.db file and I've found some info on it from an archive of this list here: http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.embedded.ezx.general/month=20090301

I hate to admit it, but I was planning on contributing to this project long ago and I've been on the mailing list for many years. Sometimes, I get a little side-tracked. :) On the bright side, I didn't know the kernel very well back in 2006 and I've become much more familiar with its internals lately and have even managed to get a few patches through.

Daniel