On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:22 AM, David Erickson <deric...@stanford.edu>wrote:

> On 06/30/2011 03:38 AM, Wei-Chih Chen wrote:
>
>> Dear David and Ben,
>>

>> Sorry, I can not figure it out. @@
>> Could you give more details? Thank you.
>> packets-> OpenFlow switch transfers packets to OpenFlow messages->
>> OpenFlow messages-> controller receives, handles(drop, modify...)->
>> modified OpenFlow messages-> OpenFlow switch receives and routes these
>> messages
>> Is it correct?
>>

> Here is a simplified view:
> Packets come into an OpenFlow switch, if they match a flow in the flow
> tables then the corresponding actions for that flow are applied to the
> packet (ie send out a port, rewrite some header, etc).  If there is no
> match, typically the packet is encapsulated in an OpenFlow PacketIn message
> and sent to the controller.  The controller then decides what to do with
> that packet (and others coming from the same flow), and sends a FlowMod
> message back to the switch which modifies the flow tables on the switch with
> the controller's decision.

Does this FlowMod message contain that packet?

>  Are OpenFlow messages here the same as network packets?
>>

> OpenFlow messages are contained in network packets, and may contain network
> packets :).
>
>From the above statements, I know that OpenFlow PacketIn messages contains
network packet,
but how are OpenFlow messages contained in network packets? [?]

Maybe these concepts are described in the white paper or specification.
I am sorry that I have not read these with details. [?]
You can just point out where I should read if they are in the documents.

> -D

By the way, do you know how Citrix *vSwitch Controller* communicates with *Open
vSwitch* on XenServer and manages multiple switches?
Is it also through OpenFlow?

Thanks. [?]

Regards,
Wayne