From: yap...@gmail.com [yap...@gmail.com] on behalf of kk yap
[yap...@stanford.edu]
Sent: May 10, 2012 13:55
To: Heming Wen
Cc: Dan Talayco; openflow-discuss@lists.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: [openflow-discuss] OpenRoads controller link with PC Engine AP

Hi Heming,

Some comments inline.

Regards
KK

On 10 May 2012 09:18, Heming Wen <heming....@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Hi KK,
>
> In terms of physical hardware, I believe we have the exact same set of
> hardware mentioned in the Stanford OpenRoads testbed. We are using PC Engine
> AP and Pronto 3290 switches with Indigo installed. Right now, a controller VM
> is running on a PC workstation connected to the management port of the Pronto
> switch. Using simple pyswitch.py controller to detect devices, a successful
> connection has been established between the switch and the controller.
>
> When you say "make sure the controller is also accessible to the AP on the
> datapath", I am not extremely sure about the approach I should take. Do you
> mean using a second switch (a smaller one, D-Link desktop switch for
> instance) to connect the control port of the switch, the port of the Pc
> workstation controller and the switching plane of the switch (on which the AP
> is attached) together?

This should work in theory.  I assume Indigo allows this.  Dan should
be able to comment on this. It is setting up an out-of-band control
network.

> Or do you mean by having an extra network card installed on the controller PC
> in order to be connected to both the control port of the switch and the
> switching plane (using two subnets).

Yes, this is what Dan was describing and we have done this before.
With a NEC though.

> Or are you referring to something else entirely? Is it possible for us to use
> the same approach you used in your setup so we can recreate it?

We had this setup in various forms over time, using different switches
and APs.  There isn't a "particularly right" way to do this.  It all
depends on the equipment you have at hand and what you are trying to
do.