Thank you Aaron,

I would like in the beginning to set my switch to do nothing, meaning not
to forward any traffic if I don't have the controller started or flows
installed.

Then I would like to use NOX and set some flows or set them directly with
dpctl. Now, if I use a flag OFP_FLOW_PERMANENT dose it mean the flow is
installed after I close the controller? (this is how I would expect it to
be)

Making the switch "fail closed" is a setting of the switch or of the
openflow protocol?

Thanks again for the reply!
Best,
Diana