I think develop your own simulator might be a better solution, more flexible,
faster (if you do flow-based sim), better chances to understand protocol...

In my memory, in some research works, they develop their own openflow
simulator, e.g. Hedera from NSDI 2010
(http://static.usenix.org/event/nsdi10/tech/full_papers/al-fares.pdf)

Best,

--