Traditionally, ofdatapath was the component that did the data path
forwarding.  It was plumbed with data plane interfaces and received and
forwarded packets.

ofprotocol was the component that managed the connection to the openflow
controller.

As directives that updated the forwarding data path tables were received by
ofprotocol, they were forwarded to ofdatapath; in the case where ofdatapath
is/was a kernel module, this was done with a netlink socket pretty much
just forwarding the appropriate OpenFlow messages across the link.

Shameless plug:  The Indigo-2 architecture uses a simliar functional
decomposition, but between the connection management functionality
(OFConnectionManager) and the forwarding component, it defines the
OFStateManager.  An API is defined between OFStateManager and Forwarding
which is closer to an object model (it's in C).  The OFStateManager
provides database-like query functionality for the flow table which has
different optimization criteria than the requirements that come from the
forwarding component (either fast packet lookups for a virtual switch, or
ASIC specific hardware table management mechanisms for a physical switch).

-Dan