hi Yiannis,

I think it's a place of ambiguity in the spec, perhaps.  for example, with the
indigo switch firmware (OF 1.0), if there's a cable plugged-in, and I pull it
out, then I see OFPPS_LINK_DOWN in the modified port description.   if there's
a cable plugged-in, and from the switch OS, I do an 'ifconfig down', then I see
both OFPPS_LINK_DOWN and OFPPC_PORT_DOWN in the ofp_port_status message.

it seems to me that a controller would definitely want to be notified if the
link between, say, two switches went down.

anyway, like you said, hopefully this is all clear in the newer versions of the
spec. :-)

cheers,
Andrew

ps -- from a quick skim, this looks like the relevant code:
https://github.com/bigswitch/iods/blob/master/indigo-core/openflow/udatapath/datapath.c#L1266
 but maybe I'm misreading things.