Hello,

i would like to suggest an extension to the OpenFlow standard for packet sampling. I already presented the extension at this years SIGCOMM in the poster session and now i would like to know how you people think about the idea.

In environments with a high arrival rate of new flows, such as in a data center, it is not feasible to install one rule for each flow. A doable approach here is to group flows by wildcard rules. Thus the network is equipped with a bunch of default routes. This of course makes traffic engineering very hard because you no longer know which flows are hiding behind which wildcard rule. So you need some kind of elephant detection to extract large flows from the wildcard rule and install a custom route for this flow. One default technique here is packet sampling. To do packet sampling today one needs a protocol like sFlow or netFlow to control packet sampling at the switches. Since we already use OpenFlow to manage our switches for me it makes a lot of sense to include this into the OpenFlow protocol.

We developed a very simple extension to the OpenFlow standard that can be found here:
http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2013/papers/sigcomm/p541.pdf

I'm looking forward to your comments.

Best,

Philip

--
Philip Wette, M.Sc.             E-Mail: we...@mail.upb.de
University of Paderborn         Tel.:   05251 / 60-1716